Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wk2-Blog#3: Comment #2 To Ann




Ann said...
Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.

Accomplishment
Relationship
Transformation
outcome
framework
Partnership
Obstacles
Speaking
Stories
Innovation
Beliefs
Individual
Leadership
Invented
Tools
Yourself


A migratory “V” of words is expressed in the first chapters. Reading The Art of Possibility is an inspirational journey. It is an adult story of learning how to navigate change. I know that as I become older, I need to revisit my ways of thinking and points of view often. I am constantly adjusting my expectations on a variety of levels. My actions are based on “migratory” decisions and feelings that relate to each unique situation I find myself in. I am more careful about not making assumptions.

Many of the ideas in chapters 1-4 deal with perceptions, both seen and unseen. I have learned as an adult that I must work to take alternative perspectives into mind when I deal with difficult or unknown situations. This is important in dealing with students, parents, and my own children. I try to step into their shoes to make decisions and provide advice that suits the moment. This is not so easy to do, but it is an important part of building strong and trusting relationships.
The story you choose to share is the one people will judge you by. If you meet most conversations and interactions with others, with a smile and a positive response, a door is opened to further communication.
Giving an A to oneself and to others provides an opportunity for success. I have found that sometimes we need to have permission to succeed. It may be permission from our-selves, or permission from others. Why this is so, I don’t know, but I have seen it in action in many different scenarios. It is an approval measure, yes, on a scale of 1 - 10 perhaps. This measurement can stop us in our tracks or set us free.

The Art of Possibility conveys a message meant to compel one to embrace the “unknown” possibility in life and strive to make it known.

Meghan Bassett said...

Oh man, I couldn't agree more with your comment on trying to put yourself in others shoes. What a HARD thing to constantly do! You see how it affects you, but it's hard to look past that sometimes to really see where a student, or anyone for that matter, are coming from. For instance, i have a student (special ed self contained) who comes into my room and says how much he hates everybody and everything every single day. There is a point every week that I just get exhausted by his negativity and I can't even respond to him anymore. It's hard to constantly try to reach out to somehow who never reaches back. Every once in awhile though, I get through to him, and it makes all the time I've spent with him worth it. I love your V shape of words, what a great and creative idea!
I really like the idea that positivity is key in building relationships. Who wants to constantly be around someone who is always negative?

No comments:

Post a Comment