Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wk4 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 9-12



Lighting a Spark
This chapter reminded me to let my kids go with flow a little more. I’m an art teacher, as most of you know by now, which means a few things. Number one, I have to give some set of instructions to make sure students are learning what they need to learn from my curriculum. However, sometimes I make them do a few specific things, but leave the rest up to their creativity. For example, we do two clay projects a semester in my class. The first, I require the students make a rattle. This is so they learn a few basic techniques like slipping and scoring to attach clay, how to create a hollow shell without letting the clay explode, and how to form objects out of clay. I have a few students that ask me to make certain objects that aren’t hollow, and I usually shoot them down. This is to try to keep everyone on the same page and make sure they are learning the same things. In reality, I should probably hear them out, see what they want to make, verify they know how to do what they are being taught, and let them run with their ideas. Let the spark of passion come and flow!
Being the Board
I like the idea of this chapter more than I comprehend its complexity. It is much harder to say you’re the board and to take responsibility for everything that happens in your life than to actually do it. At the end of the day, it is easier to point fingers than to accept that you are responsible for everything that happens in your life. A good thing to try, but I’ll admit, going to be tough to implement and remember.
Creating Frameworks for Possibility
I like the quote, “She vowed not to say anything that she could not stand as the last thing she ever said.” I love the notion here, but in the heat of the moment how hard is it to live by? Setting a framework for possibility seems more of a change in mental state than something you think about. I liked the story of the teacher who shaved her head. Instead of trying to get the kids to stop making fun of the little girl with cancer, she made the baldness something she owned instead of lived with.
Telling the WE Story
The idea of telling stories and looking at everything from all angles and looking out for the best interest of all people involved is tough. I teach in the South, and my students still fly the rebel flags and talk about the South vs the North in the Civil War. It seems ridiculous to me that so many people want to put a gap between us, but also making everyone else feel like an outsider. Being from the North, I get comments about being a Yankee and trying to make everyone think like me. I think it would be beneficially to try to see things from all perspectives here. What can we do to get over this gap? Why do we all feel the need to keep this barrier between us?

4 comments:

  1. There are no limits when we let the kids explore their own possibilities, especially in art. I too used to stick with the program strictly until a little rebel decided that she was going to do what she wanted to do and somehow created something worthy of competition. Although she didn't win anything at the VASE competition, this changed my attitude. It is entirely possible to stick to the curriculum and have the student express themselves.

    As far as the North/South issues, have you tried to give them your point of view? Why not try to create an art assignment that will in some way bring everyone together in a more beneficial WE manner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan,

    This is a thoughtful and sincere post regarding how you could apply the practices in the book to your own teaching and life Bravo. I don't think it's wrong of you though to restrict a project's requirement in the attempt to teach concepts and skills. You should actually turn it around on them because the reality of it is life is full of restrictions. They need to learn how to be creative within the parameters of a project. So if they have something in mind how can they think outside of their own box to come up with their idea. This is going to always happen both in their schooling and as they venture out into the professional world. To me you are not limiting their creativity, only allowing them to really invest into their creative spirit.

    As far as the last paragraph. This is probably the reason why we always just drove through the south and never really stopped there! It's sad and a bit scary to think that people can still be so closed minded. The sadder thing is you really can't blame the students because this is what is taught at home. Tolerance and acceptance is a long slow road. Not just in the U.S. but everywhere in the world. Your perspective about what the book brings is absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued by the “being the board” phrase and agree that it probably is way more complex than I am capable of processing. I try to do my best each day and treat people decently and hopefully truly do that each day. As you indicate it is easier said then done. The last thing you mention is about the north/south issues. I have been surprised to see that hang on as well, and that has been one of the main reasons I choose not to seriously consider traveling in the south or contemplate the region as a place I would like to work. It seems that there may be a few unwritten rules I don’t even want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Being the Board section the most.
    Meghan you are so right it is easier to point fingers, however if our student’s parents would start teaching their children at a young age, around 3 or 4, to be responsible for their own actions and be like the metaphor, chess game board, then when their children approach primary and secondary school, we as educators would constantly reinforce responsibilities with examples to our students. As a result, this may not be so challenging for our students to be responsible individuals.

    ReplyDelete